4 August 2011

Which character would you most like to meet?

Today's prompt is a hard one, but at the same time it was the first name that came to me when I read the question. I would love to meet Edward Cullen. Even though the Twilight series itself is nothing special, Edward's character is just so beautiful, he doesn't realise how special and amazing he is, and I guess we have all been able to relate to that feeling sometime or another.

I have always loved vampire lore since my 9th grade English teacher chose Bram Stoker's "Dracula" to read (and I will always be grateful to her for that!). What is it about vampires that make them so appealing? For me its not their beauty (something which has truly evolved when we think of the monster-like description of Dracula of the past to today's own Damon Salvatore, well and his brother Stefan too, in LJ Smith's "The Vampire Diaries"). For me its their immortality and their darkness.

So Stephenie Meyers created an ideal based on (copying, call it what you will) all the great archetypical characteristics of the perfect man. Edward Cullen is dangerous, and girls always go for the 'bad boy'. He is also hard to get. Its the thrill of the chase. That is why dating is so much fun, it makes you feel alive, it's nice to feel wanted. Most people bore easily if it is all too easy. Things that make you work hard to get are the things that people value and actively seek. The things we get easily are the things we take for granted. Edward Cullen is also strong, not just physically (how many times did we have to read he was chiseled from marble? Seriously.) but also mentally. Men who are strong, independent and not afraid of equally strong, independent women (definately NOT Bella) are increasingly hard to come by. There seems to be a shift back to the days where girls were to be protected and taken care of. Edward may be obsessed with his new love, but he is also capable of controlling this obsession when he has to deal with life and death situations. A guy who can take care of himself is appealing. I don't want to be with someone who needs me, who can't live without me, because I don't need anyone, I prefer to choose to share my life without losing my identity and independence in the process. Edward is also a romantic and I don't care how feminist one may be, let's face it...who wouldn't want Edward to sit down and play a magickal love song that he had composed, inspired by you?? Don't even try and deny that one. Perhaps if society would once again raise its sons to treat women with honor and dignity, and their daughters to respect themselves and to expect the same from others then Edward Cullen wouldn't seem so special. But when Edward Cullen falls in love, he falls in love forever. He is completely dedicated to his partner. And that is what every girl dreams of finding. Someone who gifts them not with material goods, but with true, everlasting love.

If those aren't good enough reasons, then the only other one I can give you is that Edward Cullen is hot. Not his pale Robert Pattinson cinemagraphic version, but his smoking-hot Alexander SkarsgÄrd/Ian Somerhalder sexy literary counterpart. Enough said.

 

2 comments:

Lea Lindfors said...

I'd like to meet Edward Cullen too. But also Scarlett O'Hara from Gone With the Wind and Sybilla from My Brilliant Career. I love characters that are strong, independent women.

Shay said...

I haven't read many books with strong independent women. I think I will have to make that a priority for next year!